Saturday, October 1, 2011

Gillian Welch - The Harrow & The Harvest


The "Harrow and the Harvest" is my latest cd purchase. There's been a lot of good buzz about it on the internet, so I thought I should get myself a copy. Gillian Welch is one of the most respected Americana singer/songwriters in the U.S. It's been 8 years since she's put anything out, so this was a very anticipated work and seemed a good time for me to finally buy one of her albums. I won't give a complete review since I'm still giving it a good listen, but let me say this, it's a mature work in both its restrained sonics and in its pointed lyrics. The blending of her voice and that of her long time partner David Rawlings is seamless. It's obvious they've worked our their musical relationship over the years to perfection. Their vocals as well as the playing are simply beautiful. I will make mention of one reference that interests me personally. Track 3 talks about going door to door like a Latter Day Saint. I guess we do have that reputation! At least she referred to us by the more accurate title rather than the typical "Mormon" ID. For a full review that I totally concur with let me refer you to the excellent report by Thom Jureck at AMG:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-harrow--the-harvest-r2219679


I've enjoyed his reviews for many years, finding myself in agreement with him more often than typical critics.

I pulled the front insert from the cd case expecting to find the usual booklet with track listing, lyrics and credits. To my surprise, the thick insert turned out to be hefty card stock without the ability to open up at all. The front and back you see as it sits in the case is what you get! Very tricky! The art work is great and I love the minimalist approach. Mirrors the musical concept of the album perfectly. This album is a very enjoyable listen. Pick it up if you're tired of the same old same old on the radio!

No comments:

Post a Comment